Sunday, February 25, 2007
The main thing I love about the album is the intricate trippy patterns. For me the patterns evoke the fundamental structure of things which generally happen in reality, but they do it without attachment to any particular examples. They're almost like little stories. Sometimes a pattern does this by itself and other times two or perhaps more patterns seem to interact, like one does something and the other performs a response or continuation. It almost seems like a kind of language, although it may only seem that way because it seems to describe things like language can describe things. Sometimes when listening to these pattens it seems like they are the fundamental building blocks of reality and everything is built from them. They're just hard to recognize normally because they're buried by so much meaning and perceptual detail.
I also appreciate the texture of the sounds. They seem especially wholesome solid and satisfying. They also go to very low frequencies, and listening to it using speakers or headphones which can reproduce that feels great. In terms of texture my favourite track is Children of the Bong – Squigglasonica. The squiggles seem so detailed and satisfying.
My favourite track in the album is Children of the Bong – Life on Planet Earth. I love how it builds slowly from something very simple and minimal. It evokes the way how things in life can start out small and develop into something wonderful. It also eventually evokes the feeling of something continuing to exist in a positive way, like it's not just a build and "then what?".
The overall mood of the album seems feels very relaxing, confident, present and happy. The music evokes feelings of being happy outdoors on a a warm sunny Sunday morning. Concern and worry can melt away and I can start seeing everything around me as a symphony of pleasant patterns without much special meaning. The album is truly psychedelic.
Saturday, February 24, 2007
It's so wonderful to see spring come in February! In Southwestern Ontario spring starts with blooming maples in late March and wildflowers in April. I guess the timing here is probably close to the timing in Zadar, Croatia, the city I was born in, but I haven't seen spring there in so long. Here are some photos from last Sunday:
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
I use Firefox mainly because of the extensions which are available. Here is a list of the extensions which I find indispensable. The list is roughly sorted in terms of importance. The links all go to the official Firefox Add-ons site whenever possible. There you can find more information, reviews and a link to the extension's home page.
- Adblock Plus because graphical ads are too annoying
- CustomizeGoogle because it makes Google more convenient to use and allows me to easily search on other search engines
- Add Bookmark Here 2 because it makes bookmarking easier
- Paste and Go so I don't have to separately paste and then hit go or search
- Resurrect Pages so I can easily get to a cached copy when a site is down
- BugMeNot because registration is annoying
- dragdropupload because it makes uploading files a lot easier.
- Permit Cookies so I can easily see if I'm permitting cookies for a site and change cookie permissions
- FlashGot for lightweight integration with my download manager
- RefControl because the Referer header doesn't do anything useful for me
- Tab Clicking Options because remove buttons from tabs and use double-click to close tabs
- FxIF 0.2.2 so I can see EXIF data from online photos
- CuteMenus - Crystal SVG because it makes Firefox look nicer and sometimes makes menu items easier to find
- QuickRestart so I can easily restart if I install, uninstall, enable or disable an extension
I regularly try out new extensions. Here is a list of extensions which seem promising. I haven't used any of these enough to strongly recommend them, but I do think they're at least worth checking out.
- Second Search because it's a convenient way to use alternate search engines via the search bar
- Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper 1.0 because it helps remove some ads, but these are fairly rare and inoffensive so it may not be worth it.
- Locationbar² because it allows easy access to parent directories on servers
- Redirect Remover because redirects waste time and bandwidth. Sometimes they're a good idea though, and those need to be entered as exceptions.
This list was created with the help of Extension List Dumper.
[originally posted on my last.fm journal]
Wednesday, February 07, 2007
My own experiences with music seem to support this theory. I remember when I was mainly listening to eurodance and a friend introduced me to electronic music without vocals. I remarked that it seemed like it might "go somewhere" like the start of a eurodance song but it never got there. Later when I started to like electronic music it wasn't as if I just started liking how I perceived it before; instead I perceived it in a new and more enjoyable way. Later the same thing happened as I explored other genres. It was always like learning a new way to perceive music rather than like starting to like the same perceptions I felt before.