Saturday, October 04, 2008

Religulous was fun and worthwhile

Bill Maher's Religulous was a lot of fun. It was a great way to get some enjoyment from the many ridiculous stupidities in religion. Ordinarily, some things about religion seem upsetting, but Bill Maher was great at presenting it as comedy. I laughed more than when watching comedy movies with a fictional plot.

I don't think the movie was very good as a documentary however. It seemed to show some bias regarding particular religions. Bill Maher criticized Catholicism but the two Catholic priests he talked to seemed to be the most reasonable of all the people interviewed. He also seemed to leave Judaism alone for the most part, and he seemed biased against Palestinians and maybe Islam. Oh, and he neglected all the eastern religions, but I hear that was intentional because it would have been too much to fit into one movie.

I'm not sure I learned anything from the movie. However, it was a lot of fun and I think it helped me overcome respect I had for religion. Overcoming respect for religion is important. If you view religion as something better than other insane ramblings, you're still a bit religious.

I strongly recommend the movie to everyone.

No comments: