In 2007 I noticed how newer versions of Rockbox left less free buffer space and I decided to make my own build with more free space. The first step was a RomBox build. This helped a lot, but I wasn't satisfied. I saved more RAM by disabling various features which I didn't need: code page loading, language loading and the voice interface. With this build, I have 1.774 MB of buffer space.
I also fixed a few bugs, either by backporting fixes from later versions or by fixing the bug myself. Most notably, I fixed the charging screen issues.
Here are some files associated with this custom build:
- The V2 Recorder build which I'm using
- A slightly less optimized FM Recorder build
- The fonts package
- The build directory with source code
I did not make any builds for other old Archos devices because I don't have access to those devices for testing. It should not be hard to build for those. The only tricky part is what I did to the language system to save RAM.
This is based on Rockbox r15545. You can now download just the patch. Here's a list of the included fixes and changes:
FS#9638- temp_cue is unused and wasting memory
- FS#7631 - Charging screen broken on V2 Recorder. Several fixes enable the charging screen, display of input current on the screen, and proper startup from the charging screen.
FS#9635- Instant backlight turn-off on FM/V2 Recorder FS#8163- Rockbox (Sansa) hangs in settings menu. This fixes a crash caused by the scrolling title used for setting text horizontal scrolling speed.
- Removal of language changing, with English language strings used directly from ROM. (This requires manual intervention when building.)
- Removal of voice functionality.
- Removal of codepage changing
- Removal of the database (this is part of the RomBox instructions).
- Removal of low battery shutdown
- Unused conditionals for removing bookmark functionality. This part is probably incomplete and bookmark functionality remains.