Tuesday, April 28, 2015

CPUID HWMonitor 1.20 causes blue screens

32-bit Windows 7 is normally totally stable for me. Today I was running CPUID HWMonitor 1.20 to troubleshoot a UPS problem, and I got two blue screens. One was BAD_POOL_HEADER (19) and the other DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL (c5). Both of these point to memory corruption.

HWMonitor is a nice utility which shows temperature, voltage and other measurements. It supports the motherboard, hard drive, graphics card and UPS. However, I've seen blue screens after using it in the past, and this experience further confirms that HWMonitor causes blue screens.

I just upgraded to version 1.27. I hope that version will work better.

Edit: Nope, it's not fixed. I didn't trust version 1.27, so wanted to restart after using it. I got another memory corruption crash on shutdown.

No comments: