Monday, July 27, 2009

On fandom

When I became a fan of someone/something on Facebook I just meant to say "that's really good". I didn't mean to subscribe to stuff; that part even got to be a bit annoying.

For example, with Infected Mushroom, I meant to say their music is great and highly recommended. I can also say that seeing them live is highly recommended if you get a chance. (The one time I saw them in Toronto is still a very memorable positive experience, even though the club was unreasonably packed.)

At first, seeing all the stuff they posted was annoying. It almost seemed like spam and it certainly seemed to decrease the signal to noise ratio. Yet the first article I read was interesting. It's a weird feeling, realizing that there can be more to something than I ordinarily experience. I'm not really sure what's the point of taking an interest in more than just their music but it certainly feels worthwhile.

No comments: